Simply the best, most cost efficient, clean up solution….On land or water. For oils, paints, acids and other liquids.
We’ve had customers express an interest in having us obtain different products for them, in relation to our Lubrication Management business. Often requested has been spill absorbents. That didn’t really appeal to us because, well, it didn’t sound very exciting and more generic than what we usually work with.
We had a National Sales rep visit us, encouraging us to take on his product line of spill absorbents. He sent samples, called, and quite frankly, we never responded too him.
One day in the warehouse I was busy on the fork lift, in a hurry to get chores done because I was leaving for a short vacation to Pismo Beach. It was at that time that my aging fork lift (1948) decided to dump it’s gear lube all over the warehouse floor. Fortunately, I had completed the chores for the day. But, what to do with that spilled gear oil? I remembered the samples that had been sent to me.
I grabbed some of the sample product, sprinkled it on the spill and left final cleanup for when i got back. Once back, I grabbed a shovel to pick up the absorbent. Wow. What I ended up using was a broom and dust pan. The absorbent worked so good that there wasn’t even a stain left on the concrete floor.
That absorbent? Sphag Sorb. I called the National Sales rep and asked if the line was still available. 20 years later, we’re still carrying it. The benefits are listed below but if you want to see it in action, watch the video clip below and take a look at our Sphag Sorb Solutions page. Then contact us.
- Natural – Benefit Safe for Humans, Animals, Plants and the Environment.
- Non-Toxic – Benefit No associated Health & Safety issues or environmental issues in use or disposal.
- Organic – Benefit Use to improve soil conduitions (A RENEWABLE RESOURCE)
- Biodegradable – Benefit land filling Hazardous and nonhazardous waste. (Landfill friendly No long term environmental effect)
- Flammability – Benefit SPHAG SORB does not ignite instantly when exposed to heat or flame, in fact it is difficult to establish a smolder.
- Versatile – Benefit Can be applied on any surface type, land or water, and absorbs the widest variety of liquids when compared to traditional absorbents. (Reduces inventory and simplifies training and decision making; one absorbent does it all)
- Easy to use – Benefit No specialized training or equipment, just open and apply. (Reduces labor and equipment expense)
- Lightweight – Benefit Absorbs 4 tiems its own weight. (Less physical strain in handling and lower shipping and disposal cost)
- Super-absorbent – Benefit Absorbs hydrocarbons with up to 8 times less Sphag Sorb absorbent than competitive products. (Lower volumes of absorbent and weight. Reduces transportation and disposal costs)
- Absorbs on contact – Benefit Quicker absorption means less spill spread and less penetration resulting in lower clean up cost.
- Non-Leaching – Benefit Holds onto the absorbed liquid, therefore less dripping mess in clean up. (Very important in controlling the liquid on site cleanup, during transportation and in landfills)
- Vapor Suppressive – Benefit Reduces flammable vapors by 90%. (Lowers explosion and odor risks)
- Microbe Enhanced – Benefit Specially cultured bacterial strains that are known to digest hydrocarbons are concentrated in a formula and then added to SPHAG SORB in production. Designed to assist Mother Nature by adding massive amounts of specific bacterial-enzymes to hasten the remediation process.
- Optimal Remediation Environment – Benefit SPHAG SORB provides an ideal (Remediation) environment by allowing heat, air and water to reach the microbes, ensuring rapid bacterial growth and reproduction.
- Renewable/Sustainable Resource – Benefit Sphagnum peat moss is the dead material that accumulates as new live material grows on top and exerts pressure on the peat moss below. Over 50 million tons of peat are estimated to accumulate in the natural environment each year in Canada while current production utilizes approximately 700,000 to 800,000 tons annually. Several options are currently utilized for bag reclamation and restoration.
Here’s a very effective older video with demonstrations: